Monday, October 6, 2008

VeganMoFo - oatmeal for lunch


Breakfast - Kashi's Golean and vanilla soy milk (about 200 calories). This is my all time favorite work day breakfast. I love a slow cooked oatmeal but a) not practicle for a workday b) not practicle to make for one. When I worked in the cafe, we would make big pots of steaming oat meal - rolled oats and whole (the quick cook rolled oats would break down faster making the oatmeal velvety) with fruit and spices (peach and cardimum!) and topped with steamed milk. Good god, this stuff was good. But I'm lucky if I manage cold cereal before leaving for work most days. I have to work on getting up earlier but now that its turned cold (33 degrees tonight!), it is hard to part company with the electric blankie.

Lunch - Kashi's oatmeal (160 calories). Today was not a planned Kashi Celebration day. I had a lunch time dentist appointment so I needed something quick to eat at my desk before the appointment and oatmeal was the only option. Noting the above statement, I'm not a huge fan of the instant oatmeal, but the Kashi oatmeal is very tasty and not too sweet. I hate a box at work in case of a breakfast crisis.

Snack - peanut butter crackers (calories unknown, but if I had to guess maybe 200)

Dinner - A rice stir-fry.
A drop of peanut oil in the pan
A spoonful of jarred garlic
2 slices of red onion, cut in half moons
A cup or so of broccoli
Saute until the broccoli begins to cook
A few shakes of curry powder
A splash of soy sauce
A drop of fresh grated ginger
A few tablespoons of stock to deglaze the pan and encourage the curry to coat the pieces
A few strips Morningstar Farms Veggie Steak Strips
A cup of left over brown rice.
Cover the pan for a minute or two to help the rice heat thru
Pile onto a plate
YUM


Desert - The last sad failed jelly donut cupcake.

No comments: