Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 92 - Whipped cream is not vegan

Again with the freaking non-vegan baked goods?
Hot apple crumble with fresh whipped cream in the office kitchen. We start work here at 8am, so someone was up before 6, I’m presuming, making the apple crumble. I can pass the crumble by. Apple desserts are not my all-time favoritest. However, I did win a blue ribbon for my apple bars. But whipped cream is a tough one for me. I’ve been racking my brains to think of a vegan substitute. This might be one of those things that I have as a non vegan treat from time to time.

You know, when you start thinking about something, the topic seems to follow you everywhere. Like if you start thinking you want to buy a VW Beetle, you suddenly see them all over town. Well, vegan topics are coming up everywhere. I read a couple of blogs a day on something vegan or vegetarian or how meat consumption is just bad for you and the environment. And now Macrobiotics are starting to pop up.

Macrobiotic eating is more of a philosophy than anything else and while its interesting to read about, I don’t know if I really have the bandwidth to go “wholehog”. Losing weight and doing the vegan thing really take up enough of my brain power that I don’t have much room for anything else. Macrobiotics is like full contact eating and cooking and honestly, I just don’t have the room in my life to go that crazy.

I was up a little after 6:30 this morning (and I was NOT baking apple crisp). The pupster had some ants in her pants apparently and using my tummy as a spring board. Yes, I did go to bed earlier because I was exhausted and yes, I did want to wake up earlier, but NOT because a fussy puppy was tapdancing on my guts.

I managed to slap on my sneakers and go for a leisurely mile walk. I need to kick this whole exercise thing up a few hundred notches. The period thing waylaid me this week but I’ll bounce right back this weekend. I might even hit the gym (gasp).

1 comment:

MsMeiss said...

You are doing such great work! I am impressed and inspired by what you're writing. Thanks for sharing.

It also makes me realize that my change in eating is such a small shift, at least, comparatively.

Wow ... just, wow.